I was greeted by a lovely surprise on Sunday evening. Miss Holly Higgins of Back Home Again nominated me for the Liebster Award that is frequently circulating throughout blogland. Due to my perpetual need for acceptance, of course I got on things right away!
Here's how it works: the nominee writes 11 random facts about their self, answers the 11 interview questions given by their nominator, creates 11 new questions for the 11* bloggers to nominate and mention in a post. Finally, go and tell the person who nominated you, along with the people you’ve nominated about your post.
*Holly mentioned that origins of the award and original terms are a bit murky. Nominating others is of course good, but it doesn't have to be all eleven. I tried to go with bloggers around 500 or less followers as the impression I got was that the award was geared towards newer bloggers.
So, here goes. Thanks again, Holly!
My 11 Facts:
- I never had an interest in school or grades until I was almost done with college. My first semester after I transferred to Bowie State, I got a 4.0 and became one of those GPA-watching maniacs!
- I detest the color purple. I used to love it and it must have been overkill, because now I even avoid touching things if they are purple.
- Ironically enough, I do, however, enjoy grape-flavored items.
- I am terrified of jellyfish. Sharks, stingrays, most other ocean creatures are fine by me...but a program on the Discovery Channel scarred me for life and I literally freeze with panic if a jellyfish is near. I stopped snorkeling on my honeymoon because there were so many!
- I'm also afraid of electric blankets. I'm always cold and my husband is always saying we should get one, but in my head, that will only end with a fire breaking out.
- I LOVE LOVE LOVE dogs but have never owned one in my life. It's sad but I am still hopeful.
- I've never been a big chocoholic....I may or may not fight you for funfetti cake, however.
- "I'd rather fight you for something I don't really want, than take what you give that I need." I won a Valentine's Day contest this year. I fought to the death for prizes I didn't like when I realized my main opponent was cheating. I don't like red roses and the bracelet they gave away was not cute at all. But I fought to the death and won. Don't get on my bad side ;) The bracelet did however buy my new laptop. :)
- I met my husband on match.com at age 19.
- Speaking of random facts, I love reading the ones on Snapple and other beverage lids!
- I love hammocks. I have one purchased and waiting for the day I finally have a place to put it up and enjoy it!
My Questions from Holly:
1. If you could learn another language, what would it be?
I took Spanish for two years and enjoyed it. I would refresh that knowledge to be practical. For fun, I would also like to learn Gaelic because of my Irish roots.
2. What is your idea of a perfect date?
April 25 because it’s not too hot and it’s not too cold. All you need is a light jacket.
I kid, I kid. I like a day where we can move at a leisurely pace and enjoy something together in our time. No deadlines or rushing around, just the freedom to explore and take our time. Our recent trip into DC was a perfect example of this. After our cherry blossom cruise, we walked to dinner but took all the time we needed to stop and soak things in along the way
3. If you could move anywhere, where would it be and why?
I have serious wanderlust so this is hard, but in general I most often say I want to go to the south. I’m southern at heart and also not a fan of cold temperatures, so somewhere with significantly less winter would be ideal.
4. What is your idea of a perfect date?
You’re quite obsessed with dates. See #2.
5. Gold or Silver?
White gold. I am starting to appreciate both but most of my pieces are still in white. I am actually allergic to sterling silver.
6. Favorite store?
Yikes! Probably Target or Trader Joe's. They are good at taking my money. :D
7. Where did you go on your honeymoon?
Couples Sans Souci In Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Gorgeous! Dying to go back!
8. If you could live in another decade, would you and if so, which one?
I would love to visit all of them because history is so fun, but realistically…probably not live. Things wouldn’t be as comfortable for certain women’s needs.
9. What is your favorite season?
Spring/Summer! Love temps in the 70’s/80’s and green everywhere!
10. What can't you leave the house without?
My cell phone and wearing mascara! Darn blonde eyelashes.
11. How do you motivate yourself to exercise?
The key is to find something you enjoy and go from there. I like yoga so it’s easy enough for me to do that, and my rule for myself is that I MUST do something, anything else while at the gym before my class. Whether it is a rep of weights or 15 minutes on the treadmill, I’ve gotten exercise and I haven't put crazy pressure on myself because that is ultimately a setup for failure.
I am nominating:
Janna @ Faith, Love, and Hope
Karla @ Forever Newly Wedded
Michell @ Prowess and Pearls
*Bloggers Anonymous is new, and as implied by the title, anonymous. I LOVE what they are doing however and want them to have as much recognition as possible. Not sure how this would work for them.
My Questions for the Nominees:
- What is the ultimate purpose for your blog? What do you hope to accomplish through it?
- What personal goal are you working on currently? How are you going about it?
- Share the best getaway/vacation you have taken and what made it great.
- What talent or hobby did you used to pursue that you no longer do? Do you miss it?
- What cause or organization would you most like to devote your time and efforts to? Why?
- Looking back five years, is your life now where you thought it would be? What is different?
- What piece of encouragement would you most like to give to a blogger just beginning her journey?
- Do you have any pets? Share pictures and a fun fact about them if you do.
- Share your favorite recipe that you have found in blog land.
- In terms of social media, which do you personally enjoy using the most?
- What are you looking for in the blogs that you will nominate?